Translate Me!

Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Do You Eat Dog Food?

Not anymore, but I love Puppy Chow!


Chocolatey, peanut buttery delectable Oreo Puppy Chow
Wait! Hold up....not anymore? Well, for any of you that have older siblings like me, maybe you experienced the same thing. Maybe you big sisters big brothers out there know too...shame on you!

I remember it like yesterday, unfortunately.

It all started in a Wal-mart parking lot, which could be said about a lot of scary and just-not-right things, I'm sure. I don't remember how old I was, but I was definitely in elementary school or lower. My family, including my two older sisters, had just finished our shopping trip. We were pulling out in our purple Astro van (ah, those were the days...) and my sisters had bought a tin cookies. They offered to share some with me. 

Never mind the cookie was shaped like a dog bone. Shaggy ate Scooby Snacks, right? Never mind that siblings sharing cookies should always be suspicious! I ate one. Much to my dismay, its barbecue flavor was not strong enough to overpower its...umm...uniqueness. It was a dog treat. Yuck! (Note: Looking back, it was actually really funny and should have been on America's Funniest Home Videos. Thanks Kylee and Amber for the silly memory).

So, I don't condone tricking your siblings into eating dog food; however, I was reminded of this story when I got a weird reaction from Will upon asking him if he wanted Puppy Chow. 

Maybe I should have just told him it was dog food so he wouldn't eat it all!

My dog, Gus!
No matter how much your dog begs, don't give him or her the Puppy Chow from this recipe!

The Recipe 
Peanut butter and chocolate...It's a match made in heaven, and now its even more divine!


Ingredients:
  • milk chocolate bar (I used 16 squares, and the squares here are a bit bigger than those on a Hershey's bar)
  • white chocolate bar (I used 10 squares)
  • 1/4 cup of peanut butter, plus a little more for good measure. ;)
  • 4 cups of Cereales Rellenos de Cacao from Consum (this is kind of like Chex cereal that is filled with creamy chocolate in the middle). I used this since I couldn't find Chex here.
  • Two 17x22 cm ziplock bags (or a thick Tupperware with lid). I had to use two of these bags because they were the biggest I had. 
  • 1 cup powdered sugar
  • Oreos!!!
Directions:

1. Melt chocolates and peanut butter over low heat (3 on my stove top) and stir them fairly frequently to avoid burning. 

NOTE: I don't recommend to use the microwave as some recipes suggest. Although it usually works well when the chocolate is in contact with peanut butter, once the chocolate kind of...exploded.

2. While stirring, measure out 1/2 cup of powdered sugar into each of your two bags (or a whole cup into a bigger bag if you are lucky.

3. Crunch up some Oreos (I smashed 4 inside of their package, but next time I will try 8) and place them in the bag(s) with the powdered sugar.

NOTE: If you want a more Cookies and Cream idea like the link above, you could try the Cereales Rellenos con Leche. It's the same cereal I used, but it's filled with Oreo type filling, and you could use one bag for "cookies" and one bag for "cream", with milk chocolate in one and white chocolate with the other, mixing them when you are done.

3. Take the melted chocolatey peanut buttery goodness off the heat when smooth and start pouring cereal into it 1/2 cup to 1 cup at a time, stirring gently to cover the cereal.

4. Once all cereal is smothered in melted amazingness, start spooning it out into your two bags (one if you're lucky). Close bags very tightly, and shake, shake, shake, Señora!

5. Pour into a different container if you like, and relax as you chow down on that delectable (fake) Puppy Chow.






4 comments:

  1. This makes my day! I have half a jar of peanut butter left until I get my emergency restock from my boyfriend, and I think I'll skip the half batch of PB brownies in favor of puppy chow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you liked it! If you are in Spain now, you may find more peanut butter in odd places. My last jar came from a Thai grocery store.

      Best wishes, and enjoy that puppy chow!

      Delete
  2. My brother once fed me dog candy when I was little. It looked just like a Hershey's Kiss and that's what I thought it was until I bit into it and it tasted horrible! Think I was like 3. Still remember it.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...