Translate Me!

Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Playing Catch Up

Life in Barna, like Barna itself, is really busy!


Since I've been so busy, I haven't been blogging as much as I would like. However, that just means I have tons of new stuff to bring to your attention.

I'm working on several new posts simultaneously to help answer common questions or points of interest I have been receiving, so be looking for new posts on language learning resources (yes, even Catalan) and more awesome restaurant reviews. The poll ended in a tie, so I will also touch base on reviewing some of the  supermarkets and markets as well as information on our neighborhood, Sant Antoni in Eixample.

For now, I'm playing catch up on getting those pages done as well as knitting (thanks to Yana and her amazing classes!), racing to finish the Game of Thrones books before my Master's classes start, and teaching private English/business English classes. Whew...and I would be lying if I told you I wasn't making the most of this beautiful city. I also go out regularly to meet recently arrived students as well as new friends.

Those of you who already know me also know that I can't stand not to be busy. You also know that I am a bargain hunter. I love finding a good deal. At home, I used craigslist to buy some items and to sell the majority of our larger material possessions when we moved. Freecycle was a great way to find things for free (like yarn and craft items for projects). Here, craigslist isn't so popular. However, I have found the deal-hunter's gold mine. Loquo and Segundamano are the best sites I have found so far for our purchases, starting with our flat.

Yes, our flat was found via an ad on Loquo in July. We could not be happier with that choice! Recently, I have been trying to use these sites to help friends find their own flats. Be warned, however, that there is a high scammer-to-ad ratio for flats at this time. The next items I found were on Segundamano. I could not pass up a hair dyer with diffuser & concentrator and a straightener together for only 15 euros. The same day we also bought two larger fans (one is an oscillating tower fan, the other a large pedestal oscillating fan) for 7 and 10 euros respectively. Take that Ikea!

Of course, I must caution you to never go alone and meet in an open/public area....but you know that already. As somebody who can't see paying exorbitant amounts of money for items that I may not be able to keep after the next year or two, I can't brag enough about the great gently used items I found. So, my friends, go forth and save!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...