Translate Me!

Monday, August 27, 2012

*Lucky* Brownie Batter Choco-Loco Truffles

I have been stalking many wonderful recipe sites since my arrival in Barcelona.


Since I don't have an oven here, I have been looking everywhere for easy, no-bake recipes that don't require a lot of ingredients (many American baking necessities are hard to find and expensive in Barcelona).

Among my favorites is a site named Averie Cooks. I love it so much that I nominated it for the Leibster Blog Award recently.

Today I went to Carrefour (I will post a review of area grocery and supermarkets soon, I promise) out of curiosity and necessity. I needed to get some shirts for Will to wear under dress shirts, and I found one near my ever-so-elusive university (the one that says, Meh, don't worry, you don't need to do anything else until September. I am officially nervous that I needed to do something, like fill out paperwork, get a loan....something).

Needless to say, I forgot to take my ingredient list with me, so I bought a lot of things: sugar, chocolate bar (for melting), dark chocolate chips, flour, cocoa powder, brownie mix, condensed milk, and gelatin, to name a few. I remembered that I needed these things for various recipes.

Well, I got home and looked at the recipes again. I needed peanut butter for every one of them I wanted except for No Bake Vanilla Cake Batter Chocolate Truffles from Averie's site. I couldn't find cake mix, hence the brownie batter (I also want to make my own Brownie Batter Blizzards since there are no Dairy Queens here).

Doesn't that just make you drool?
What started out as merely Brownie Batter Choco-Loco Truffles (they became lucky during their creation) are adapted from Averie's recipe, mentioned above. Impatience, afternoon shut-down of stores, and difficulties finding ingredients led to the decision to "just roll with it". And roll I did, 12 delicious,little truffles to be exact.


Now, don't you just want to drop everything and make these!?

 


What you need to know:

Yields: 12 One to two bite decently-sized, 2-4 bite truffles

Time: 30-45 mins total (that includes two 15 minute breaks to let the dough/chocolate set). 15 mins or less of actual work time!


Directions:
  • Combine brownie mix of choice in mixing bowl with condensed milk
    • (the original recipe called for 1/4 c, but I think brownie mix was different enough that I had to add more. It ended up being about 1/3 cup.)
    •  My suggestion is to start with 1/4 cup and add more as needed for the dough to mix together well and not be powdery. If it's runny, add more cake mix!
  • Place bowl with dough in the fridge for about 15 minutes (this was the *lucky* step, you'll see when you get to the bottom).
  • Remove dough and roll into little balls. I didn't have wax paper, but I would suggest it to keep everything from sticking to your plate/whatever you put them on to keep them in the fridge at this point.
  • At this point, I opted to place them in the freezer for 15 minutes to let them chill.
  • Melt your delicious chocolate chips (or a bar would work) over low heat, stirring until all is melted goodness.
  • Dip your chilled dough into the melted chocolate. I used a large spoon to roll them around in the melted chocolate, to pick them up, and to plop them on the plate.
  • Return these delectable morsels to the freezer for as long as you can manage. My tolerance was less than 10 minutes.
  • Enjoy!
Note: Make sure that you mix the batter and condensed milk very well, or you will end up with little grainy batter bits in the truffles!

For the more visual......Here we go!


Here is what it looked like right before I put it in the fridge. I sneaked a little taste...Mmmmm!


Then, you roll them into adorable little blobs of yumminess and sentence them to hard time....in the freezer!



You will melt those little dark chocolate chips until they are creamy, melty awesomess.











Dip them in the melted chocolate with the help of trusty Mr. Spoon. If you are lucky, they will look smooth like the ones in front. When you get low on chocolate and really have to roll them around, they will look spikey like the middle ones.
 
Dessert this delicious and easy should be outlawed. But it's not, so you're safe!


After some more time in the freezer, they are ready to be enjoyed!

So what about the *Lucky* part, you ask?

While I was waiting for these little cuties to cool down in the fridge (to go from dough to being able to roll them into balls), I got a blocked call. I am always hesitant to answer those, but I've been pimping my number and email address like crazy trying to get English students.

On the other end was a doctor who wanted medical English lessons. I start tomorrow. Score!!!!!

Now you know why they are *Lucky* Brownie Batter Choco-Loco Truffles.


Tell me about your favorite desserts. Chocolate, fruity, pies, cakes? I'm all ears!


11 comments:

  1. These look SO decadent! I love how easy the recipe is which is something I always gravitate towards:) Btw Barcelona is one of my fav cities--the people and the cuisine is fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Linda,

      Thanks for visiting my blog! I really love yours. :)

      I'm glad you like te recipe. If you try it, let me know what you think.

      I'm happy to find another BCN fan, too. It's definitely a one-of-a-kind place.

      Delete
  2. OMG. Kimber. You. Kill. Me.

    I want those really bad.

    You are Hilarious!!! I can't be funny like that. My blog is punny but not funny. Oh you inspire me with your humorous decadence.

    Congrats on the new English student!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, Selena...You know me, so you also know that I am only funny/witty in print. In person, well, it's just not the same. Thanks for the congrats! I can't wait to check out your blog, I'm going to just as soon as I reply to these comments. :)

      Delete
  3. BTW, do they have oats and cocoa powder there? If yes, I will post my Grandmas no bake recipe just for you. Hell, even if you already have the recipe I'll still post it "just for you." A linkie link never hurt anybody. LOL let me know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I bought them both to do a no-bake peanut butter chocolate no bake. I would love to see your grandma's though. I think personal/family recipes are always more tasty.

      Delete
  4. Waaaaiit a minute. Why!!!??? Why don't you have an oven??!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "American kitchens" here have ovens...Spanish kitchens have doors that close the kitchen off to guests. I think it's technically an American kitchen anyway, but it's a small triangle. I do have a washer that is also a dryer (cool!) and a dishwasher. I don't use the dryer (I hang 'em out...let all the pedestrians see my undies, haha), and I rarely use the dishwasher. I have heard it's not uncommon not to have an oven here, but my student tells me he has always had one. Either way, it's really hard to find baking stuff, so it doesn't really matter.

      Delete
  5. thanks for linking up my recipe and glad you made these - I love chocolate :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Averie! You are welcome! It's really important to me to give credit where it's due. I am just so thankful for your recipes, so many of which are actually doable without an oven. Unfortunately, agave and white cake mix aren't readily available here, but I am particularly partial to brownie anyway. ;)

      Delete
  6. A friend of mine posted this on FB. It made my day!

    Wanted to let you know that I tried your little no -bake truffley deal from your blog. I opted for french vanilla cake mix instead of brownie mix, because I'm not a fan of chocolate overload (I know I'm rare). They turned out scrumptious. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...