Translate Me!

Sunday, August 26, 2012

Leibster Blog Award

 

I am proud to announce that Sally at The Cafe Cat has given this blog a nomination for the Leibster Blog Award!

                    

It's encouraging to see what a fun and friendly culture that blogging has created, and I am extremely grateful for this honor from Sally. According to Sally's tagger, Jen:

"The Liebster Blog award is given to up-and-coming bloggers with less than 200 followers and the meaning of the German word 'Liebster' is 'sweetest/ kindest'. It's a lovely bit of recognition and support to keep on blogging."

Once the nomination has been received, the nominee must answer 11 questions from the tagger and in turn nominate 11 others to do the same. You then let them know you tagged them in their comments section, sit back, and watch the magic happen. It's like the Pay It Forward of support and fun for fellow bloggers.

Here are the questions posed by Sally:

1. If you could only eat one thing for the rest of your life, what would it be?
That is an extremely difficult question. Once, when I was very young, I thought the answer was hot dogs and so tried to prove that hypothesis, only to end up so sick of them that I only somewhat recently could manage to eat them again. At this point in my life, I think that the answer would be sushi. None of you who know me are the least bit surprised.

 

Yes, I made this (with Will's help), and it was delicious!


2. Why did you start blogging?
I started blogging this summer when my fiance and I arrived in Barcelona. I intended to start the blog much earlier, detailing all of the ins and outs of the preparation for moving to Barcelona (visa, apostille, headaches, crying, being extremely stressed about all of it, etc), but I was, well, extremely stressed about all of it and didn't have time while working full time and applying to schools part time. So, when we arrived, the Internet wasn't conducive to being able to Skype without dropping the call several times in 10 minutes, and I was bored. I finally realized my dream of blogging, but it quickly grew from a platform to share adventures with family to a means of helping others navigate Barcelona life with ease.

3. What's your favourite detail in people?
That's a question which I had not consciously considered before. There are physical details, of course, and less concrete ones, too. As a nurse, I received training in thorough assessment skills. Unfortunately, to my fiance's chagrin, that means the detail I notice most quickly about others is whether or not they have good veins. Now that I have been in Barcelona for a month and not working as a nurse, I would have to say it's a person's diversity that is my favorite detail. It's not that I never noticed it before, just that I was so busy before that I wasn't able to simply meet people. I love it, the differences in personality, degree of adventure-seekingness (ok, so maybe that's not a word), the way somebody dresses, stories about his or her culture, an accent, mannerisms, hand gestures. Barcelona itself is a study on diversity, and I am living it.

4. Luck or hard work?
The answer, hands down, is hard work. With hard work, I have managed to achieve so much in life, including making this life-changing journey to Barcelona. With luck, I have managed to win back a lot of money playing Black Jack that I lost at the slots...only to lose most of it again anyway (and that's the best case scenario, overall in my complete history of gambling, I'm still down). Hard work gets good grades, a degree, patience, humility, empathy and love. Nobody's relationship has ever survived on luck, it's all hard work.

5. What's your favourite season?
Autumn would definitely have to be my fave. The weather is still warm, and it's just a little windy. It rains, but the humidity is not so noticeable. The colors of the leaves are changing, and, of course, I love visits to the apple orchard. Cider, cider, yes, caramel apple cider (I sincerely hope Starbucks in Barcelona has this, or I will have to march myself up there, order the necessities, and be their cider barista...) Yes, I am even looking forward to the new experiences school brings in the fall, especially sipping hot beverages like cider while studying (not so much the studying maybe).

6. Have you ever been in love?

Yes, most definitely. I am in love with my wonderful fiance, Will. He's usually Fun Will, or Human Map Will who never gets lost. He's Cocky Will because he thinks he knows everything (and sometimes does), and he's Will the Coffee Guy to his new classmates. He's not Sports Marketing Guy, because that's one of the other American guys though, so don't get them confused, haha. No matter which Will he is, he's My Will, and that's love...being able to tolerate another human being for better or worse..errrr, maybe that's marriage. 

Caught in the Act: Will Proposing
7. Where do you see yourself in 10 years?
In ten years, I will be 35, and that's pretty hard to see. At this point, I don't know what I'll be doing later this week (unless you want English or Spanish lessons, then I'll be wherever you want your lessons!). Honestly though, I would hope that Will and I will both be completely done with school by then. Beyond that, I would love to keep traveling (yes, Mom and Dad, and visiting home very often).
 
8. Morbid BUT what song would you like played at your funeral?
A lot of Beatles. No need to be sad, because I won't be there...but if it has to be a mellow, funeral-ish song with depth and meaning to make people mournful....probably "Hallelujah" by Jeff Buckley and then "American Pie" by Don McLean (NOT MADONNA) since my dad and I used to play that on guitar and sing it together. It was the first real song I ever played on guitar. The after-funeral party should have lots of Daft Punk though.

9. Vanilla, strawberry or chocolate?
Why choose? Neapolitan has all three!

10. Your signature dish is?
It used to be French toast, but now it's either sushi or tortilla española.

11. Cats or dogs?
I plead the 5th. If I answered this, either Zoe would hate me more than she did when I first had her fur shaved this summer, or Dash and Gus would be extremely hurt for the five minutes it would take them to find a toy, Gus to eat it, and them both to be even more upset. That is a loaded and dangerous question that I shall not answer.


Zoe...I think she's always upset anyway.




Dash, he's just always cute.



Gus, master of weird poses.





He might actually be more upset if he doesn't get whatever comes out of the oven...


I would like to nominate the following blogs for this award (in no particular order, drum roll please....):
  1. Plateful by Nashi
  2. That's So Michelle
  3. Averie Cooks
  4. NomNomBlingBling
  5. PrudentBaby
  6. The Lemon Tree
  7. Common Chapters
(Ok, so I only have 7.....but they are all worth checking out!)
 
 
My questions are:

1. Why did you start blogging?
2. Star Trek or Star Wars?
3. What's your favorite book?
4. What was your favorite vacation?
5. What's your favorite season?
6. What's love got to do, got to do with it?
7. Who was your favorite teacher/professor and why?
8. What was your first dance with your husband at your wedding? If not married yet, what do you imagine that song might be?
9. How do you order your coffee?
10. What is your signature dish?
11. Cats or dogs?

 

5 comments:

  1. You are so funny! Love reading your blog!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done. Veins, sushi, coffee, cats&dogs, love, hard work and Lemon Tree cookies. I think you covered it very well. Home run, Ms. Kimber.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for your kind words! I am so thrilled so have such wonderful readers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Kimber, this is why I love you so....

    Re: All..

    1. Duh (and me too!).
    2. I love it... it also gives some adventure to those of us who cannot visit Barcelona ourselves.
    3. Good veins? LOL. But seriously... a nurse once told me I have "juicy veins." It was a little disturbing, but then again, I watched them take the blood out and they thought that was disturbing.
    4. Relationships might not be based on luck, but finding the love of your life just might be.
    5. It's my favorite too. Autumn or Fall? I prefer Autumn... it sounds more like the season it represents.
    6. Bhaaaaahhhh!!!! <-- that's my loud obnoxious laughter. I love how sweet and romantic you are and then BAM, you end with something funny.
    7. I don't have anything to say about that, except I hope I see you again before then.
    8. I'll be sad :( and I'll make sure there's daft punk at yours if you promise the same for me, depending on who knocks out first.
    9. Wise words.
    10. Zoe miiiigggghhht be upset because you put her in cat clothes... just sayin'...

    Gus, oh Gus....


    Kimber, I love you, I love your blog.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...