A fairly painless process, especially if you speak Castilian/Catalan......And if not, take good notes!
|Photo from Ajuntament de Barcelona website|
Will and I got our Empadronamientos in less than 15 minutes total. The secret? Please, for your own sanity, **make an appointment**! Here is a step-by-step guide to getting your Padrón as quickly and painlessly as possible. For the sake of simplicity, I am going to give instructions as if this is your first time to to the Empadronamiento (not a renewal, as that is different).
1. Get your paperwork together:
The Empadronamiento will register you as living in Barcelona, and you need to do this before you can get your Tarjeta de Identidad de Extranjero (Student Residence Card, includes NIE).
We had not been here long enough to have any bills,but the OAC was able to process our paperwork with:
- Our Passports (Visa included)
- Original rental contract
- (Paper proving we had appointments - optional, but I highly recommend you to make an appointment)
If you go to ESADE, you can find more information about this on the MBA Welcome Page.
2. Find out which OAC is closest to you by perusing these locations:
(In case they change, general website in which to find these links, here)
3. Make an appointment:
I said this was optional....but you really should do it. We were in and out quickly. The line was astronomically long, but "si tienes cita, tienes prioridad" (if you haven an appointment, you have priority).
Just click on this link and then click Solicitud to make your appointment. Baja will cancel your current appointment, and Consulta will let you enter info to get details about a current appointment. Using these links is ideal because calling the office costs money!
If you don't speak Castilian well or just want help making the appointment, here are instructions with screenshots and in English!
4. Get your Empadronamiento on!:
(If you did not make an appointment, get in line and go straight to the second bullet point.)
- If you made an appointment:
- Arrive about 10 minutes early with all you need
- Locate the self-service machine and punch in your appointment number
- You will get a receipt with a new number (mine had a letter and 4 numbers)
- Take your number in front of everyone in line to the waiting room (you may need to ask somebody, "Dónde está la sala de espera?"
- Once in the waiting room there, you will wait until the letter/number combo for you is called on the screen and go to the window associated with it. Give the person your paperwork and .pdf file and let him or her know you are there for Empadronamiento.
- The person may ask a few questions about your school, when you are starting, if this is your first time getting the Empadronamiento. The person who helped Will and myself was very nice.
- You will check over the information he or she prints to ensure it is correct and then sign
- You will receive three copies of the Empadronamiento in a folder with some information about your neighborhood
(Until you go sign up for your Tarjeta de Identidad de Extranjero (TIE)